Sunday, October 21, 2012

Welcome to central Florida

It has been a long time since I've written in this blog. Too long. But since my recent permanent move to Avon Park, Florida, I thought this would be the best way of keeping my friends and family up to date with my daily adventures. For anyone who doesn't know, I recently was hired as a research assistant at Archbold Biological Station, a non-for-profit research station dedicated to the biological exploration and conservation of Florida's endangered wildlife and habitats. I will be working primarily with the red-cockaded woodpecker (Picoides borealis), an endangered species that is found only in mature pine forests of the southeastern U.S., and also with the Florida grasshopper sparrow (Ammodramus savannarum floridanus), a critically endangered subspecies endemic to central Florida and currently numbering only in the hundreds.

I moved down here just over a week ago, and tomorrow is my first official day of work. My hope is that by reading my upcoming posts, you will not only become familiar with the type of work I'll be doing, but realize just what kind of challenges accompany the research and conservation of a declining species. More importantly, I hope to convince you (if you're not already) of the reasons why it's so important to save these little birds, and how much emptier our world would be without them.


http://www.archbold-station.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment