Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Prairie spring - or not?

I have recently arrived back at the East Block of Grasslands National Park in Saskatchewan, Canada. This will be my second field season conducting research for my master's thesis. My research examines the effects of grazing intensity on the nesting success of prairie songbirds. It is certainly the most rewarding field work I have done so far, as my data may help to shape future management plans for this park (I hope!).



Just as last year, I have arrived to find the prairie concealed by a fine layer of snow. Originally from an area where freezing temperatures in May are virtually unheard of, I still find this new climate difficult to adjust to. At the moment there are 7 of us in the field house, with 3 more arriving on Sunday. Training was meant to begin on Tuesday, but the weather has had other plans.The near-constant blizzardy conditions have forced us to remain house-bound for the last 2 days, and it looks as if we will face the same for the remainder of the week.




It has been a slow couple of days, with large amounts of down time interspersed with bird and plant ID training. This sort of knowledge comes quickest in the field, however, so we must hope for better conditions soon.

The upside of the unpredictable weather, however, is that a rain shower on the night of my arrival (May 3) gave way to the most spectacular rainbow any of us had ever seen.






And even though we've been itching to get outside and see some birds, a few of them have saved us the hassle and visited anyway. This Western Meadowlark is one of many that we'll see this summer. Their beautiful songs can be heard from long distances, and their awkward belly-hanging-out flight never ceases to amuse me.


The shelterbelt around the house, originally planted as a windbreak, tends to attract a range of tree-loving species not seen in the surrounding prairie landscape. This Merlin stopped by for a few minutes, perhaps scoping out our birdfeeder (which so far has a visitor count of 0).




Until next time!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I'm jealous of the Merlin!! That would be a lifer for me! Awesome blog so far, I'll link to it from mine. :)

    ReplyDelete